I'm so lucky to have so many furiends!

Friday, February 21, 2014

Twix's Flashback Friday: A Special Post for Daisy and Hailey

My heart is breaking as I write this post because we lost 2 very special girls yesterday:  Daisy and Hailey. 

When we made the decision to help our girl across the bridge I knew it was the right decision but I also wondered if we should have waited.  I wondered if she might have gotten better given more time.  I found this poem and it really helped me feel more at ease about the decision we made.  
I hope it brings comfort to both families.

FROM FRIEND TO FRIEND

You're giving me a special gift,
So sorrowfully endowed,
And through these last few cherished days,
Your courage makes me proud.

But really, love is knowing
When your best friend is in pain,
And understanding earthly acts
Will only be in vain.

So looking deep into your eyes,
Beyond, into your soul,
I see in you the magic, that will
Once more make me whole.

The strength that you possess,
Is why I look to you today,
To do this thing that must be done,
For it's the only way.

That strength is why I've followed you,
And chose you as my friend,
And why I've loved you all these years...
My partner 'til the end.

Please, understand just what this gift,
You're giving, means to me,
It gives me back the strength I've lost,
And all my dignity.

You take a stand on my behalf,
For that is what friends do.
And know that what you do is right,
For I believe it too.

So one last time, I breathe your scent,
And through your hand I feel,
The courage that's within you,
To now grant me this appeal.

Cut the leash that holds me here,
Dear friend, and let me run,
Once more a strong and steady dog,
My pain and struggle done.

And don't despair my passing,
For I won't be far away,
Forever here, within your heart,
And memory I'll stay.

I'll be there watching over you,
Your ever faithful friend,
And in your memories I'll run,
...a young dog once again.

In Memory of Asta, Feb. 1997
(c) Karen Clouston

Since Twix was friends with both girls, I know she was there to great them as they journeyed across the bridge.

Please stop by both blogs and leave some words of comfort for both families.  I know from my own experience how much it helps a hurting heart to read comments left by long time friends and ones you are meeting for the first time.
Daisy
Hailey

17 comments:

Bella Roxy & Macdui said...

Thank you so much. It was an extremely tough call this morning. Daisy enjoyed yesterday, her walk, and even had her head out of the window on the ride to the Vets.

But after a long consultation with the Vet it was decided that she was experiencing pain...dull aches which would only get worse in the next week. It has been a sad, difficult day. But you are so right, all the comments and thoughts from people around the world do help the hurt.

XXXOOO Bella & Roxy

We didn't know Hailey.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Joining in the communication of condolence. This is a lovely tribute. Thanks for sharing it. Hugs and wags, YAM-aunty xxx

caspers welt said...

Hello ♥
What a lovely blog you have ♥
We'll come back soon ♥
Greetings from Casper ♥ ♥

Dexter said...

We need to know when our friends are suffering and they ask us to let them go. It can be heartbreaking, but it is our final act of love.

Mango Momma

Angels Amber and Max DaWeenie and Mom said...

It's probably the hardest decision we ever have to make for our beloved pets but in reality it's the last and possibly the best gift we could ever give them....the gift of making them pain-free again.

Murphy said...

That is a beautiful poem. We did not know about Hailey. We need to treasure the time we have.

Your Pals,

Murphy & Stanley

Frankie Furter and Ernie said...

THAT is a beautiful poem.

We trust that our peeps will do what is best fur US... not fur THEM when our time comes. THAT is how we KNOW how much the LOVE US... More than they love THEMSELVES.

Ruby said...

Oh Taffy, what a beautiful and wonderful tribute to our furiends. It's been a hard week, butts we know that the Bridge is havin' a big ole zoomie party this weekends!
{{{hugs}}} to their families and kisses
Kisses,
Ruby ♥

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

What a wonderful tribute!

Idaho PugRanch said...

A beautiful poem. We were so sad to hear about Daisy, we did not know Hailey, but we will stop by
and offer our condolences
hugs
Mr Bailey, Hazel & Greta

Molly the Airedale said...

What a beautiful poem. Our hearts break for Bella and Roxy and their mom and we will stop by Hailey's blog and leave our condolences.

Love ya lots♥
Mitch and Molly

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

That was such a beautiful poem. We know we will need to keep it close at hand for when we have to say our goodbyes to our senior boy. We were very sad to learn of Daisy's crossing. We did not know Hailey, but it is always sad to lose a beloved furry. Soft woos and gentle hugs to all of their families.

Woos - Phantom, Ciara, and Lightning

Hailey and Zaphod and their Lady said...

What a sad day in Blogville. Hugs.

KB said...

What an absolutely beautiful poem. I knew about Daisy but I didn't know Hailey. I'll stop by there.

Sully said...

Thanks for sharing the poem.

Aroo to you,
Sully

Daisy said...

Thank you for sharing such a perfect poem for Daisy, Hailey, and all our beloved fur friends that have crossed the bridge. It's always seems like it is too soon when we lose a fur friend.
oxox
Daisy

♥Mona + Prissy + Angel Weenie♥ said...

Mommy had to make the same decision with Samantha and it still hurts after all these years but it had to be done.

We paid our respects when the girls left for the bridge but just now read this post. Mommy wishes she had seen it 9 years ago.

♥♥♥Mona & Prissy