I've made a new furiend at For the Love of Dogs recently. As I was looking through her blog I came across a post where she is giving away a beautiful bracelet. In order to enter the drawing she asks us to tell of our funniest animal encounter or story. I'm gonna let my mom tell a story about Max for this one.
Please visit her Enter to Win post if you would like to enter the drawing.
Hi everydog and everycat! I know Twix has introduced you to my previous doxie, Max, seen sitting in this chair:
I apologize if you have seen this photo before, I don't have any other digital images of my Max!
Max was getting on in age and had some health issues. He had to stay in the doggie hospital every now and then. Well, one time he had gotten sick and was unable to keep anything down and spent a couple days in the hospital. The vet called me and said they had not let him eat for the first day or so and he had eaten that morning and everything seemed ok. So, I went to pick him up after work.
When we got home, I fed him dinner and he threw it up. I picked up the 409 (or whatever I had on hand at the time), sprayed the floor, grabbed some papertowels, turned around and down I went! You know, linoleum is slippery when it is wet. As I lay on the floor I started crying and wondered if it was time to have Max put down. I gathered myself together before any of my roommates got home and proceeded to finish cleaning the floor.
Max and I went to bed and he seemed to be doing ok at that time. About 4:00 in the morning I felt that familiar heaving of a dog getting ready to toss their cookies. I picked Max up and set him on the floor and he vomited what I thought looked like his intestines. Keep in mind it is 4 a.m. and I had been sound asleep. By the time I was able to turn on a light, I was totally freaking out! I'm thinking my baby is dieing right in front of me.
I went to get something to clean up the mess with, again in tears, and finally realized that Max had thrown up a rubber glove. A rubber glove! If you use your imagination you can see how I thought he was throwing up his intestines, right?
I called the vet the next day and had a "discussion" with them. It seems that when they feed the dogs that are in the hospital, they let the ones that can get out of their kennels roam free for a few minutes while they mix the food. The staff that mixes the food wears.....a rubber glove. Apparently, Max was so hungry because he hadn't eaten for a couple days that when they put the glove (with soft canned food on it) in the trash he snatched it and swallowed it whole. A true Dachshund is all about the food you know. I was very lucky that he threw that up instead of it getting farther into his digestive system....who knows what would have happened then. Fortunately, it wasn't time to have him put down, it was time to laugh at a ridiculous situation!