I'm so lucky to have so many furiends!

Monday, August 24, 2009

The Perfect Award for Me!

Well, my furiends know me better than I thought they did! I was given this award by Tank and Sadie. I guess you guys have figured out how important food is to me and I ain't talking about dog food! This is how the award works:
"When accepting this award, you must blog about the food you have stolen when your humans were not watching. If you have never stolen any food, you must have been a really good pup! You can accept this yummy tray of cookies as your reward! Next, add the logo of this award to your blog (optional), then nominate at least 5 other furry blogs and let them know by leaving a message on their blogs."
Well, I have stolen food but I am still accepting this tray of cookies!
Gosh! I don't know where to start. I'll give you a couple funny ones and then we can talk about something more serious.

My cousin, Kayla, was born the year before me so we sorta grew up together. When she was around 2, Grandma would give her Twizzlers and she would have one in each hand. Of course, she didn't really pay much attention to the candy and I would snatch a whole Twizzler every chance I got. I thought it was great! Kayla, however, was pretty upset by my thievery.

When my Dad started dating my Mom, he made it known he did not like "little" dogs. I was just a little offended by that, as you can imagine. So, he would come over, Momma would cook dinner, and they would eat in the living room using TV trays. Daddy likes to have bread and butter with dinner so imagine if you will....TV tray with a plate of food, 2 slices of bread and butter on the tray next to the plate, and me watching and waiting. As soon as they were not paying attention I would reach up there and snatch one of those slices of bread and run off with it. By the time they realized it and grabbed me I had snarfed it down. Hehehe! That's what you get for not liking little dogs, Mister!

Almost 2 years ago, I had gotten into the trash and chewed up some papertowels that had bacon grease on them. As you would expect, I got into some trouble. Later that day, Mom looked over at me; I didn't look too good and she asked if I felt ok. My reply was projectile vomiting. She thought it was just the papertowels coming back up. I started on a downward spiral at that point. Over the next 2 days, I became lethargic, refused food and treats, and finally, wouldn't even get up when they came home from work. Mom had called Aunt Shannon over to look at me and she thought I might have the flu but when I started refusing all yummies and didn't even care when they came home from work Mom knew something wasn't right.
Off we went to the V.E.T. and they said they would keep me overnight, give me fluids, and something for an upset tummy. The V.E.T. called Momma at work the next day and said I wasn't any better and she wanted to do an X-Ray to see if I had an obstruction (thinking I may have eaten something else out of the trash). That test revealed I defniately had an obstruction as nothing was passing from my tummy to my small intestine. So, the next call Mom got was telling her I had to have surgery right away.
Less than an hour later, Mom got another call telling her I had one of the worst cases of pancreatisis she had ever seen. My pancreas was so enlarged it was blocking off my stomach from emptying. All they could do was give me some medications and keep me on IV fluids and wait and see what happens. Well, I spent about a week in the hospital but Mom and Dad came to see me every day. I think they got special treatment cause Aunt Shannon works there! The first several days I still didn't even get up or lift my head when they came to visit. As I started to feel better it was hard for me to let Mom and Dad leave me. I cried a lot and I think it broke their hearts. The V.E.T. said I couldn't go home until I ate something and pooped for them. Let me tell you, they tried to feed me everything but I wouldn't eat it. Not canned dog food or even canned cat food. They asked Mom to bring some things from home (people food) as long as it wasn't greasy. She brought some scrambled eggs, boiled chicken, and roast beef. As soon as she took the lid off those eggs I went after it. Mmmmmm, they were so good after not eating for a week.
Momma got to take me home that day! When the V.E.T. gave her the bill, she said, "I'm scared to look at this." The reply was, "You are getting to take Twix home with you, I thought you were gonna get this bill and not get to take her home." Momma knew I was pretty sick but she didn't realize the V.E.T. thought I would not get to go home. It took me quite a while to get back to normal and start eating again.
I know this is a long story but I have been wanting to post about this and thought this was the perfect opportunity. Anything greasy can cause a dog to get sick like this so please be careful what your babies can get into or what table scraps you give them (if any).

I would like to pass this award on to:
Mochi, The AO4, Bijou, Baxter, and Sedona.
I know you guys will have some great stories!

Note from Mom: As I began working on this post, Twix started acting strange. Shivering but not from being cold (more like being in pain), very warm to the touch, and diahrrea. We took her over to Aunt Shannon's to take a look at her. Her temp is up a bit but nothing serious. Shannon gave her some medication to help with her tummy and told us to watch her tonight and let her know how things are in the morning. Since we have been home (about 20 minutes) she has thrown up. Some of these symptoms are very similar to the pancreatitis she had before. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers. We are hoping and praying she is much better tomorrow and that she isn't getting real sick again.

25 comments:

Ms. ~K said...

Poor baby,
we're sending positive thoughts and energy to you!
Keep us posted,
K

Lucy-Fur, as typed by Dr. Liz said...

Oh no, Twix!!! Let that stummy medicine work, and get better fast - don't get sick - sick is No Good! We'll keep our paws and fingers (silly humans, no paws...) crossed for you.

*kissey face*
-Fiona

Ziggy Stardust said...

Twix, my girl, I will hold Paws up for you until you are better. The Power of the Paw is amazing you know. I hope you just have a mild flu and will be much better tomorrow. I recently had a UTI and had a fever and felt sick also. It just took some medicine and I was better. I liked your food stories, but not if you get sick. I don't ever want my Twix to get that sick again. Paddy just had pancreatitis and was very sick, but she is better now and home. Please get well. I will check on your blog every day .

licks and sniffs and lots of healing love Sasha

koko said...

Hi Twix,

Hope you'll get better soon. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Licks, hero

Ruby and Penny said...

Hi Twix
We have all our paws crossed for you. Get well soon Sweetie.
Love Ruby & Penny
Pees - you are one great food grabber.

DoMoFi said...

Get well soon Trix! ><;

Abby said...

Hi, Twix...

Oh My...I hope you aren't getting sick again...

That Pancreatitis stuff is horrible...I had it about a year ago...

I'm sending lots of Good Lhasa Vibes your way & My Mom says she is praying for you...

Please keep us posted...

Love,
Abby & her Mom xxxooo

Bijou said...

Oh gosh Twix! We hope you get to feeling better soon. I will be thinking of you and keeping my paws crossed it's just an upset tummy.

Bij

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Oh Twix, we want to congratulate you on your award but at the same time hope you have stopped with your food thefts. We are so sorry you had to go through all of that. Worse yet, we feel very badly that you are not feeling well now. We hope Aunt Shannon and the vet can fix you up good again.

Woos, the OP Pack

sadermaxx said...

Oh Twix,
I hope you aren't getting sick! You need to stay healthy, so you can tell us some more of your funny stories.
P.S
This was fun wasn't it.

Unknown said...

Hope you feel better! A V.E.T. trip revealed Andy's newest allergy is definetly grass. He got spoiled to the new pure diet (we did that thinking he may have developed a food allergy) and refused to eat his regular food this morning. Doesn't help that his dad gave him sandwich meat because he had to be hungry, Dad said, and he just didn't want that dog food... ;)

sadermaxx said...

Hay Twix
Thanks for adding my banner to your blog, I know you have been quite a busy.

Astrid Keel said...

Twix, the daddy story was super funny... but the bacon paper was plain scary. I hope you feel better soon. Hugs and paws crossed for you.

AmyM said...

Me and my little pack of doxies are praying you are just a little under the weather and will be fine soon! Hugs and love from Amy, Cooper, Ruby, Gretel, Doogan, and Fern

Thoughts said...

Twix, congrats on your coolio award! that's awesome! you deserve it!

Wags and woofs,
Benson and Gibson

Tiffany and the Munchkins said...

Congrats on the award Twix! We are sorry to hear about your previous bought of pancreatitis. And we are sorry you are feeling sick today. We hope it is just a simple case of upset tummy and nothing more. We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

Chihuahua kisses,
Bentley & Lexus (& Mom)

Cloud the Wonder Dog said...

Twix, we are sending lots of love and prayers to you. I hope you are feeling better.

Luv,
Cloud

Woodrow, Luna, MJ Campanella said...

cool award congrats - hope twix is doing better - we will keep her in our thoughts

power of the paw

Woodrow - Sweetie - MJ

The Army of Four said...

Oh, no! Twixy, I hope you're OK!!! Maybe it was just thinking about how sick you were when you ate the greasy paper towels? Please feel better!!!
We started on our post about this today - it'll be a four parter! Ha rooo!
Play bows,
Zim

BRUTUS said...

Hey Twix -
Sorry we haven't been over for a few days - my mom got behind on all her bloggie reading because of my brother Duncan, who crossed the rainbow bridge on Friday. She is sad to hear that you are not feeling good - hope that things are better now. We will keep you in our thoughts!

Snorts-
Brutus the Frenchie

Unknown said...

I added a pic of my weenie dog to my blog--he's my special feature today. Hope Twix is improving rapidly! Check it out when you have time... becomingbriggs.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I hope you're feeling much better by now Twix.

I'm so sorry you got so sick from the paper towels. What a bummer. You need to stay out of the trash, okay?

Mochi and Bali said...

I hope you feel better soon! I'm sending you some sibe vibes to make you feel better!

Congrats on this award and thank you for passing it to me! I'll be posting about it soon!

Mochi

Lorenza said...

Twix!
How are you doing now??? Please, make a post and let us know!
I hope you are feeling much better! Paws crossed!
Thanks for sharing your "eating" stories!
That one about your Dad not liking little dogs makes me smile because I know how much he loves you now!
Take care
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Hailey said...

Twixie!!!!!!!! My pal!!!! You have got to get better!!!!! I know taking meds are not always fun but sometimes the good for you things aren't tasty! Take your meds.... tell her stummy to hold everything inside! and make the boogie fever dance away! We are all here vigilantly keeping our thoughts and prayers to the heavens to make you a whole lot better!!!! WE ALL LOVE YOU TWIXIE!!!!!!!

Hugs & Smooches XOXOXOXO
Your pal Hailey!!!1